Saturday, June 23, 2007

team hard core

In no official way (except perhaps in the beauty of my own mind) I have created and thus joined Team Hard Core.

It all started when I opted to do a program at my gym that creates teams of folks wanting to lose weight. It's a bit like the TV show, but we (16 of us) meet with a trainer just three times a week for an hour each time for a fabulous workout.

There's a buttload of cardio work, some band work, and nutrition of course. We even get nifty little journals to track stuff in.

On friday this week I brought my journal like a good little enthusiast.... but alas, chose to do some stretching prior to the workout rather than filling in the pages I'd left blank.

Wouldn't you know it - our fitness guru decided this would be the day she checked journals. Two people didn't bring theirs, and I didn't fill in all the pages (for whatever reason, i'm the one who got the most razzing from my peers. OFF ME! I brought my dagone book!). As a result we got to enter into what our Guru affectionately termed "team bonding": push ups, crunches, and squats - one extra exercise for each offense. Holy crap.

Now, some readers may say "aw, that's not so bad". And ultimately, you're right. But added to our workout, I'm feeling it just a tad bit today.

Being the exuberant athlete that I am, I opted for an extra Saturday workout - trying out the team version of the fitness crew. Read: circuit training hell. Okay, that was dramatic - it DID however, kick my arse. We had teammates and stayed at the same station for several minutes - each station having two aspects to it. We traded off with our partner every 45 seconds, and again, did that for several minutes before moving to the next station. WHEW!

After the workout I needed a swim. It was great to get back in the pool, but I tell ya, I felt every last one of the 40 laps I put in. DANG!

Now I'm home, I've eaten a good breakfast, and although I need to write a paper, I'M TAKING A NAP!!

1 comment:

Christina said...

go YOU for getting on a routine with accountability. let me know if it works!