Wednesday, June 27, 2007

gratitude

I've been dog/house-sitting the past couple of weeks. While here I've taken advantage of a loan my sister gave me: the Oprah's 20th Anniversary video set. I've had them for months, and have watched bits and pieces of the 6-disc set, rather randomly. But while I'm here with a place to myself I decided to wander through the set and pick up on what I've previously bypassed.

If there's one thing Oprah makes me think about, it is gratitude. There is so much a person can be tempted to complain about, but in reality, in this western world in which I live I've got no place to complain. Food on the table, roof over my head, family that loves me, great roommates, fabulous friends, two jobs (when some folk can't even find one), graduate school, a wonderful church, and a God I cannot even describe. I have nothing to complain about.

And while it is true that I have nothing to complain about, I feel challenged to consider "What have I expressed gratitude for?". Wow, great question.

I've been thinking about this quite a bit the past week or so. I mentioned in a previous post that I've been working out in the early mornings. I'm often out the door before the sun rises, and that alone has given me much to revel over. I love the sky. I love the sun. Put 'em together and just watch the grin spread helplessly across my face. Honestly, I don't have trouble being grateful for creation. So I want to stretch myself. I wanna check my gratitude over people, events, things beyond creation. And I want to express it, not just think it.

Recently after a workout I found myself thanking God for legs and arms and strength and flexibility...all the pieces that come together to make working out a possibility for me.

In one of the Oprah pieces, O was speaking with an author who recommended writing down 5 things for which you are grateful every day. This is a practice I want to incorporate in my daily life. I can only imagine the overflow that'll come from entering into conscious thought about what I have to be grateful for. I know some things may seem corny to others, but I also know myself well enough to know that if it's on the list, there's a good reason for it deep in my soul.

Today I'm feeling especially grateful for...
* the gift of a workout partner whom I really enjoy, and am honored to begin to call her "friend"
* pursuit
* discipline
* the sunset I watch as I type (violets and pinks and light shades of purple)
* freedom and grace


Thanks for sharing your Aha Moment, Oprah.

2 comments:

Michael said...

That's really great. I like that your list of five includes not only the typical "Christianese" responses, but also the "little things."
For the most poart, I don't like Oprah. I find her to be very accusing and make up her mind about someone on her show without giving them a fair chance. That said, being aware of what you have good is a, well, good thing to do.

the kicker is... said...

yah, I'm not sold out on Oprah, but I think that's probably something people would say about me too! (meaning, none of us has it all the way together).

I don't dislike her, but like with anything/one, I take what she has to say, sift through it, and keep what's worth keeping.