well, i invited you into this world-o-mine, so why don't I just lay it all on the table....
folks, today was weigh-in day at the gym. if you missed the previous blog (team hard core), the gist of it is that I joined a group weight loss program at my local gym. it's a 12-week deal, and today was the end of week three: weigh-in day.
now, the truth of the matter is, I spent the first 10 days or so trying to figure out the eating plan for this whole thing. the nutritionist said it was a XXXX-calorie plan, and handed me a sample menu or two. well, I got caught up in the calorie count thing - the kicker is, I've never counted a calorie in my life. ever. so those first few days I was pretty frustrated: trying to follow this menu, but not sure about how to do the calorie thing...
finally I met 1x1 with the nutritionist and wouldn't you know it - i don't have to worry about calories at all, 'cause the sample menu she created tells me everything I need to know. see, her menu isn't of actual meals, rather it is a breakdown of fruits, veggies, startches, fats, proteins, milk and water. It tells me how many of each I need in a day, and the menu itself gives suggestions as to how to disperse them throughout my day so that I'm not bulking up on anything all at one time. It's a healthy approach - balanced - so my body can process the food best. wonder of wonders!!
needless to say, the second week & 1/2 went amazingly smooth. and in the past couple of days I've had trouble eating everything I should be eating. never - not once - have I felt hungry, like i'm starving or anything. and dang, I'm eatin' well!!
So today is weigh-in day, and to be honest, I was nervous. I kept thinking: don't be too disappointed; you've finally got the food part down, and the next three weeks will be better. Just keep your chin up. One or two pounds is great, and it's not the end of the world if you don't lose any. (Just say I didn't gain!)
I took the initiative and was one of the first to weigh in. My trainer read off the weight for me, and I stood there stunned. "Would you repeat that, please?" I asked.
Five pounds! I lost five pounds!! Five stinking pounds!!! I really could not believe it!
wow. I'm so proud of me!
and you KNOW I was instantly calculating what would happen if I lost 5 pounds every three weeks for xxx-amount of time! ;) I can't help myself!
So, I'm off to a great start. I feel good, and getting this news gave me energy for continuing on and working even harder.
Grateful. that is how I feel: grateful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
n NPR's talk of the nation, there was a segment on weight and weight loss. It was really interesting.
Here's the link
Hmmm... I listened to that, and honestly, I felt like the author told a lot of stories, but she didn't sound much like she really knew her stuff. When the one caller asked about why Europeans are thinner than Americans, she danced around it. Her book title sounds impressive, but she didn't (at least not to me!)
Thanks for the link though!
I don't doubt that there are some biological dispositions we all have toward weight (I haven't always been big, but I've always had big legs - ever since I can remember - so that I feel is probably biological). But I also don't doubt that working at weight loss via healthy diet and working out is a healthy way to go. I sort of felt like they were discounting that. Did you get that feel?
You go girl!!!!!!!
Post a Comment