I got a semi nasty email from the University library yesterday, informing me that not only are my books late, but that I'm about to assess a $65 fee per book for having them out so long.
The kicker is, these books were put on reserve in the library for our class in particular. There were only 4 of us in the class, and there are at least 15 copies of each of these books. Not to mention the fact that the class is over, and it is April - there will be no new classes starting up anytime soon requiring these books. The nasty email was laden with guilt as only good librarians can do (do I dare say only good Christian librarians? oops. I just did).
Ms. Librarian put it this way:
" You have two RESERVE items that are so long overdue that they are now at
a BILLED status. When you do not bring RESERVE items back on time you
keep your fellow classmates from getting their work done. The faculty
take this seriously."
a BILLED status. When you do not bring RESERVE items back on time you
keep your fellow classmates from getting their work done. The faculty
take this seriously."
This was followed up by the brief, but beautifully threatening statement:
"I will need to contact your professor if these items are not returned
immediately."
I found this statement quite humorous since it was our professor who let us know the books are only on reserve one week, but that he had already cleared it with the library to allow us to keep them longer. In my response email I encouraged her to connect with him since he's the one who cleared it for us.
It was amazing how much more kind her next email was - seeing as how this time around she asked a few questions of her coworkers to find out I was right before casting more stones.
That's gotta be one of my biggest pet peaves, by the way: Why not ask questions before making accusations? So often we have made things up by filling in the blanks by ourselves anyway, and only end up making fools of ourselves when we "confront the issue" without asking anything.
Cut me some slack, Ms. Librarian. My late books are not a matter of intentionally trying to tick you off.
Maybe I'll create something like Netbooks for people like me.
and hey - don't you go stealing my idea - this may be my only chance to make millions.
1 comment:
NETBOOKS! I love it. My only problem is that I want to own all the books I read. I want to underline and mark them up and put them up on the shelf to reference later or lend them out. It's a problem. Amazon and I are way too close.
Post a Comment